9.1 Creative Assignment Using Audio
I was initially inspired by noises around my apartment. I can't sleep at night without white noise, so I turn on a small fan at night to help me sleep. This was my first noise. The fan triggered my idea for this piece. Monday Morning is a sound piece which was inspired by the struggle of waking up early every morning before work. Something everyone can relate to on some level. I thought about sounds and habits that I have, like turning on the Bravo channel for lighthearted background noise while making tea or coffee. Banging around in the kitchen with eyes partially shut. And rushing out the door with keys and purse in hand. The start to a long day.
As I made a mental list of all the sounds I could recreate for this piece, I began to record them one by one using the voice recorder on my phone as well as the recording option on the Audacity App. Once all 13 of my sounds were recored, I began to piece them together like a puzzle in order to recreate the sleepy sounds of a typical monday morning.
At first, it was tricky to navigate the Audacity software but after watching a tutorial, I started experimenting. I used features like echo, fading in and out, overlapping sounds to achieve my goal. Once I got the hang of Audacity, I began to enjoy the process.
Below is my finished sound piece: Monday Morning 👇
Enjoy :)
Jane,
ReplyDeleteThis is so great! I felt like I was going through the waves of my own morning struggles! This would be such a fun project: "A Day in the Life of"...but represented through sounds. I have to admit the alarm made me jump a bit lol. I personally when the abstract route but I think that speaks to the versatility of the medium; sounds aren't just limited to music. I can see this project moving to the direction of creating a day that has never happened but you might want to happen. It would be interesting to see what students come up with. For example, I've always wanted to go to six flags. How can I represent those sounds even though I've never lived them, and I'm not in that moment. It would be super fun to figure out how to make rollercoaster sounds! Great job!