2.2 & 2.3 The On/Off Experiment

This experiment was much easier than I thought it would be.  It was actually quite relaxing.  I didn’t realize how accustomed I am to being away from my phone.  Teaching full time and working part-time in a restaurant often calls for 10-12 hour days.  At school my phone stays in my bag locked away and at the restaurant, phones are a monumental no-no.  For the majority of these long days I am phoneless.  This allows me to stay focused and present at both my jobs.  I was curious to see how this would play out on a Saturday.

Waking up on Saturday morning without an alarm was heavenly.  I felt so rested and completely stress free.  I was able to spend the entire day with my fiancé without any interruptions from the outside world.  My job at the restaurant constantly calls and emails when they are in need of shift coverage.  It was a welcome break to not hear from them.  The stress of feeling on-call at the drop of a hat can really put unnecessary pressure on a person. 

We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast on the couch – chatting and sipping tea without the vibration of cell phones or the murmur of the television in the background.  Together, we cleaned and organized the apartment… much needed.  We collected all of our spare change ($300 worth!!) and took it to the bank.  It was a very productive Saturday morning. 

While waiting for our coffees at Starbucks, I decided that the best part of this experiment were these uninterrupted quiet moments drinking coffee and catching up after a long week with my future husband.  This realization triggered my artistic response to the on/off experiment.


Without hesitation and coffees in tow, I surprised myself (and my fiancé) with our next activity.  After a chilly 15-block stroll we reached our destination:  The little shop of crafts.  We spent the next couple of hours painting oversized coffee mugs to be used for coffee and catching up every weekend!  Painted his and hers mugs capture the beauty of this experiment for me.  They represent the peaceful moments where I was present and living in the moment without the distractions of technology.  Painting is therapeutic for me and it ended up being quite relaxing for him too.  I can't wait until these mugs a glazed and ready for use.  They will forever remind me of this day and this experiment.  Who knows... maybe it is something I will try again next Saturday :)




    

Comments

Popular Posts