3.2 Peppler & Baym Take-Aways

After reading the Peppler article I felt hopeful.  Funding for the arts in the majority of schools is pretty grim.  But this Doorway In that Peppler speaks of illuminates an entire realm of possibility.   An array of digital platforms have inspired kids to embark on creative ventures on their own time.  As a future art teacher, I feel like harnessing the use of these digital platforms could spark student interest as well as allow a pathway in which technology could be realistically incorporated into the art studio.

Baym made a really great point when describing human control over technology: "We develop and appropriate technologies as a means of fostering meaningful personal connection."  Sometimes I feel that people worry about the future course of technology in our society.  They worry that certain technologies may render some human roles irrelevant.  People worry that technology will replace real world social interactions crippling one's social skills.  I've thought about these issues as well.  However, Baym has instilled some confidence in our power over technology.  These things will only happen if we let them.

On the other hand...

Educationally, I do worry sometimes about the role of technology.  I am all for it in the classroom, but to a certain extent.  Many schools have stopped teaching students skills like cursive writing.  Yes, it may be antiquated but isn't it still a skill we should value and pass on?  Will the ever-present role of technology creep into math classrooms... who needs to know basic skills like percentages when you can quickly check an app on your phone to find out how much a 20% tip is?  How has/will the convenience of technology change our curriculum?        


Comments

Popular Posts