9.2 My life & Sound
Sound is an important factor in my life. I have always been the type of person who relies on sound as an aid as well as an inspiration. I hate the silence. At night, I use a fan for white noise to help lull me to sleep. When I am home alone, I turn on the television or play music as background noise so I don't feel like I am by myself. When I paint or create art, I love to have my earphones in - using the music to elevate and inspire my mood and my work. Doing homework, I always play the same rotation of classical and jazz playlists that help me concentrate.
I also associate certain noises and sounds with memories and experiences. The same way sight and smell trigger nostalgia, sound can do the same thing. When I hear a morning dove cooing, I am instantly transported to summertime on Cape Cod. When I hear dogs barking in the evening, I know that it is 10:30 PM because the same dogs get into the same tussle every night when they go for their evening walk. Sound is informative. Sound is nostalgic. Sound is important.
Sound creates mood and fuels experience. These are important factors that should be harnessed and incorporated into the classroom. Music is strongly encouraged at the school where I work. Administration encourages teachers to play music from around the world and in different languages for our preschoolers in order to broaden their repertoire. This is just one example of how sound can sneak into the classroom. Sounds can also be used to gain attention. Bells jingling means it is time to wash hands, a certain clapping sequence means it is time to look at the teacher. Depending on the age, sound and music can be manipulated to achieve certain goals. The art classroom is a place where creativity is key - allowing students to bring music and sound into the studio may increase interest and focus in the art room. On the flip side, using music and sound as a medium offers an entirely new level in artistic experience.
I also associate certain noises and sounds with memories and experiences. The same way sight and smell trigger nostalgia, sound can do the same thing. When I hear a morning dove cooing, I am instantly transported to summertime on Cape Cod. When I hear dogs barking in the evening, I know that it is 10:30 PM because the same dogs get into the same tussle every night when they go for their evening walk. Sound is informative. Sound is nostalgic. Sound is important.
Sound creates mood and fuels experience. These are important factors that should be harnessed and incorporated into the classroom. Music is strongly encouraged at the school where I work. Administration encourages teachers to play music from around the world and in different languages for our preschoolers in order to broaden their repertoire. This is just one example of how sound can sneak into the classroom. Sounds can also be used to gain attention. Bells jingling means it is time to wash hands, a certain clapping sequence means it is time to look at the teacher. Depending on the age, sound and music can be manipulated to achieve certain goals. The art classroom is a place where creativity is key - allowing students to bring music and sound into the studio may increase interest and focus in the art room. On the flip side, using music and sound as a medium offers an entirely new level in artistic experience.
Comments
Post a Comment