Follow our persona on Instagram ⬆
I would say our project was a success. Not only did different people take each photo BUT we also amassed 65 followers on social media and received numerous likes and comments!!
Maureen & Earl took NYC and the Instagram world.
This project was so hilarious and clever! After I followed Maureen Fletcher on instagram, I would laugh every time you guys posted a new photo. I appreciate how much time both of you put into this, from getting the clothes to traveling all around the city to really become these characters. Even your smiles and poses in each photo really gave me a sense of how Maureen & Earl might be in real life. Props to you guys too for going out of your comfort zone! This reminded me of an art project I had in undergrad where our professor asked us to step outside our comfort zones and basically do something strange in public. For mine, I ended up walking around the dorm dining hall pretending to be a server and asking students how their meal was or if I could get them anything else. It was super uncomfortable, but it was really interesting to see how other students in the class responded to the prompt!
ReplyDeleteThis project also seems like something that could be interdisciplinary with theater since you had to take on completely new characters in the way you talked, dressed, and acted.
I love this project! I love that these two characters created an Instagram just for their trip for to NY. It is so sweet, and probably something a cute older couple would do. Jane, you embodied Earl perfectly. I really admire how you interacted with strangers with a different persona. The use of social media was perfect for sharing the photos. We can portray ourselves in any way we want on social media and take complete control of our personas. This project weirdly reminds me of this performance artist Billy Talen, who created an alternative reverend persona and the church of stop shopping as performance art to protest capitalism. He and the church preach outside of malls, stores, and places like Disney on days like Black Friday. They also released an album "Earthalujah".
ReplyDelete